Sunday, October 11, 2009

SUPERMAN

I have decided to analyse the song "Superman" for AAI182. It is the theme song for the series Smallville. I have never watched an episode of Smallville, but this song struck me as its lyrics are very touching.

It tells about the internal struggles that Superman, a hero, faces. Despite his power and millions of people looking up to him as a superhero, he feels all alone, as there is not a single person who he can identify himself with. He has to face all his problems alone, and he feels he is living for the world, and not living for himself.

This is the lyrics for Superman.
(The words in bold are the part of the song I am going to analyse)
It tells us that "Its not easy" to be a superhero.
As the clinche saying goes, "With great power, comes great responsibility". (that's in Spiderman right? guess it can be applied to all superheroes.)



I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me

I’m more than a bird...I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

I Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

Up, up and away...away from me
It’s all right...
You can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy...
or anything…

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me
It’s not easy to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment